Here's an almost comprehensive list of uranium (and nuclear) companies across Australia, mostly active in mining and exploration. Many are local and dominantly Western Australian, although some big foreign multi-internationals are also weighing in on the exploration 'hype'. Also included are company details for Steritech (Food Irradiation), Silex (uranium enrichment), Synroc Australia and Pangea Resources (both high-level nuclear waste).
Shareholder info - Company contact details - Directors - Exploration prospects
Internet Resources - Historical Companies / Gulliver Files - etc !!
Current Companies Active in Australia :
Major Companies - Nuclear Companies - Junior Explorers - Sideline Explorers
(Mostly) Complete contact address list here.
Major Mining and Exploration Companies :
- Afmeco - See Cogema Australia.
- Broken Hill Proprietary Company Ltd (BHP)
- Cameco (Australia) Pty Ltd / Cameco Corporation
- Canning Resources Pty Ltd
- Subsidiary of Rio Tinto Ltd (formerly CRA Ltd). Proponent of abandonded proposal at Kintyre, WA, and exploration at Westmoreland, Qld.
- Cogema Australia Pty Ltd / Afmeco Mining and Exploration Pty Ltd - Koongarra Mines Pty Ltd
- Exploration across Arnhem Land, NT, and possible mine at Koongarra, NT, within Kakadu National Park. (Koongarra Mines was the original company formed to mine Koonagarra - now subsidiary of Cogema). Afmeco and Total Mining were French companies, now subsidiaries of Cogema, both very active across Australia in exploration and trial uranium mines.
- Energy Resources of Australia Ltd (ERA)
- Heathgate Resources Pty Ltd
- North Ltd
- Pioneer International Ltd
- Parent company of Queensland Mines.
- PNC Exploration Australia Pty Ltd
- Queensland Mines Ltd (QML)
- Rio Tinto Ltd (formerly CRA Ltd - RTZ Ltd)
- WMC Ltd (formerly Western Mining Corporation)
Nuclear Companies :
- Pangea Resources Australia Pty Ltd
- Australian subsidiary of American-high level nuclear waste rogues, Pangea Resources.
- Silex Systems Ltd
- Australian company floated on the Stock Exchange to develop laser techniques for uranium enrichment.
- Steritech Pty Ltd
- Australian company established in 1971 to commercially irradiate stuff. Recently lobbied the government to remove the moratorium on Food Irradiation. Wonderful.
- Synroc Australia Pty Ltd / Nuclear Waste Management Pty Ltd
- Australian company established to commercialise the Synroc high-level waste technology.
Smaller Exploration Companies :
Major Explorers :
- Aztec Resources Ltd (formerly Acclaim Uranium NL)
- Exploration all over WA, and recently in Namibia, Africa.
- Black Range Minerals NL (formerly Uranium Australia NL / Noble Resources NL)
- Equinox Resources NL
- Genesis Resources NL
- Giralia Resources NL
- Goldstream Mining NL
- Exploration across SA, WA and Tasmania. Has the exploration leases for Mt Painter, SA, with Bonanza Gold Pty Ltd (25%).
- Paladin Resources Ltd
- Resolute Ltd
- Southern Cross Resources Inc.
- Summit Resources NL
- Uranium Australia NL - See Black Range Minerals.
Minor Explorers (mostly in Joint Ventures with companies above) :
- Acclaim Exploration NL
- Founder of Acclaim Uranium NL (now Aztec Resources Ltd) as a new uranium exploration company.
- Balmain Resources Pty Ltd
- Small Perth resource company, minor interests in uranium (JV with Paladin Resources at Kayelekera, Malawi).
- Defiance Mining NL
- Eagle Bay Resources NL
- Fortuna NL
- Kallenia Mines NL
- Kumagai Australia Pty Ltd
- Macapa Pty Ltd
- Musgrave Block Holdings Ltd
- Facilitating and attempting to setup even more exploration in the "Pit Lands" - the traditional lands of the Anangu Pitjantjatjara people. Looking for anything, including uranium.
- Pima Mining NL
- Reefton Mining NL
- S A E Australia Pty Ltd
- Sedimentary Holdings NL
- Signature Resources NL
Curios or Sideline Exploration Companies :
- Anaconda Uranium Corporation
- Ashton Mining Ltd
- Goldminco NL - now Datafast Telecommunications Ltd
- Normandy Exploration Ltd
- Exploration in Arnhem Land, NT. Subsidiary of gold giant Normandy Mining Ltd.
- Ocean Resources NL - now Bambuu Ltd (internet company)
- Thunderbolt Resources NL
- New exploration company. Recent application for exploration in Arnhem Land, NT. Details unclear.
- Tulloch Resources NL
Historical Companies Once Active in Australia :
Some companies involved during the 1970's to early 1980's :
- Bechtel - See Recent Talk on Bechtel's.
- Carpentaria Exploration Co
- Delhi International Oil Corp
- Getty Oil Co
- Mt Isa Mines (MIM)
- Minatome SA
- North Ltd
- Outokumpu Oy
- Pancontinental Mining
- Phelps Dodge Corporation
- Sedimentary Uranium NL - Now Sedimentary Holdings NL
- Southern Ventures NL
- Teton Exploration
- Vam Ltd
- Total Mining
- CRA - now Rio Tinto
- Cultus Pacific NL
- Mary Kathleen Uranium (MKU)
- North Flinders Mines
- North Kalgurli Mines
- Oilmin-Transoil-Petromin (OTP)
- Pioneer International
- PNC Exploration
- PUK (Pechiney-Ugine-Kuhlmann)
- Queensland Mines Ltd
- Western Nuclear Inc
- Westinghouse Corporation
- Western Mining Corporation (now WMC)
- Wyoming Mineral Corp
- United Nuclear Corp. (UNC)
- Urangesellschaft (UG)
- Jimberlana Minerals NL
- Jingellic Minerals NL
Some companies involved during the 1950's and early 1960's :
- Doria Gold Mines
- Territory Scheelite
- Territory Uranium Syndicate
- North Australia Uranium Corporation
Internet Resources :
Some ways to find information on the internet about uranium companies :
- WISE Uranium Project - Uranium Companies Page
- Uranium Research Group - Darwin group researching the social and environmental impacts of uranium mining and exploration in the Kakadu and Arnhem Land region of the NT. http://www.urg.org.au/
- Australian Stock Exchange (ASX) website - http://www.asx.com.au/
- Australian Securities and Information Commission (ASIC, formerly just ASC) website - http://www.asic.gov.au/
- The Gulliver File - an extensive collection of dossiers on the activities of every known mining company even remotely involved in uranium somewhere.
- Digital Reflections Mining and Exploration website - http://www.reflections.com.au/MiningandExploration/index.html
- The Prospector's website - http://www.theprospector.com.au/austmineco.htm
- Mustang Mining Services Directory - http://www.mustangmine.com.au/
- Download South Australia exploration tenement data - http://www.mines.sa.gov.au/eldata.html, Mining group (formerly Mines and Energy SA, "MESA", now Primary Industry and Resources SA, "PIRSA").
- WA Department of Mines and Energy - http://www.dme.wa.gov.au/
- NT Department of Mines and Energy - http://www.dme.nt.gov.au/
- QLD Department of Mines and Energy - http://www.dme.qld.gov.au/
Much of the corporate information found here is from Mudd, 1998. Compiled for the "Nuclear Free Australia Forum" held by the Anti-Uranium Collective from Friends of the Earth (Fitzroy) in December 1998.
Another important reference - "Register of Australian Mining 1999/00", Published by Resource Information Unit (RIU). A major book documenting all current companies in mining, known mineral deposits and exploration programs - very extensive and reasonably accurate. Check their website - http://www.riu.com.au/ram.html.
Another version of the Mining Register is the "98 Australian Mines Handbook" published by Paydirt Magazine. Check their website - http://www.erd.pair.com/Paydirt_Online/98handbk.htm.
Last updated January 4, 2001.
Back to the SEA-US Front Page
Copyright © SEA-US 1998-2001