The Australian multinational resource giant, North Ltd, has a long history of environmental and indigenous conflicts, in both mining and logging. They need no further elaboration here, except to highlight that they are the parent company of ERA, owning 68.39% of issued capital.
Directors : C Michael Deeley (Chair), Malcolm Broomhead (Managing Director), Thomas Barlow, Michael E Beckett, Alex Carmichael, Richard J Carter, Richard Knight, Timothy J Knott, Donald P Mercer, Sydney M Richards, Ian L Salmon, Nora L Scheinkestel Contacts : North House, 476 St Kilda Rd, Melbourne, VIC 3004
GPO Box 1903R, Melbourne, VIC 3001
Ph (03) 9207 5111 - Fax (03) 9250 1600
Website : http://www.north.com.au/ Banking Services : Westpac Banking Corporation and Citibank Ltd. ASX Codes : Shares - NBH, Options - NBHO (Home Exchange - Melbourne, VIC) Annual Reports : 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999 (HTML). ACN : 005-233-689 Share Registry : Corporate Registry Services Pty Ltd Level 12, 565 Bourke St, Melbourne, VIC 3000 Other Websites : See ERA's website links Energy Resources of Australia Ltd
Top 20 Shareholders (%)
Company or Entity (1999 Listing) 1998 1999 1 Westpac Custodian Nominees Ltd 12.55 12.36 2 Chase Manhattan Nominees Ltd 7.03 10.31 3 National Nominees Ltd 6.14 9.56 4 ANZ Nominees Ltd 5.16 6.09 5 MLC Life Ltd 2.59 2.77 6 Citicorp Nominees Ltd 1.96 2.33 7 Perpetual Trustees Nominees Ltd 3.34 2.30 8 Queensland Investment Corporation 1.51 1.89 9 Pendal Nominees Pty Ltd 1.08 1.51 10 Perpetual Trustees Australia Ltd 1.46 1.36 11 Australian Mutual Provident Society 2.90 1.19 12 Westpac Life Insurance Services Ltd 1.24 1.13 13 HKBA Nominees Ltd 0.61 0.94 14 Mercantile Mutual Life Insurance Company Ltd 0.56 0.92 15 AMP Nominees Ltd - 0.84 16 Permanent Trustee Co Ltd - 0.51 17 Westpac Financial Services Ltd - 0.49 18 Commonwealth Superannuation Board of Trustees 0.96 0.45 19 MLC Lifetime Company Ltd - 0.38 20 Suncorp Life and Superannuation Ltd - 0.37 Total - 53.64% of Ordinary Shares No. of Ordinary Shareholders - 57,200 Shareholdings : 1998 - June 30, 1998; 1999 - August 17, 1999.
- C Michael Deeley - Director since December 1990, Chair since October 1992. Chair of Air Liquide Australia Ltd, Deputy Chair of Parks Victoria and Director of National Australia Bank Ltd. National President of Greening Australia Limited and President of the Board of the Environmental Protection Authority of Victoria. Former Managing Director of ICI Australia Ltd.
- Malcolm W Broomhead - Appointed Managing Director on 31 December 1998. Formerly Deputy Managing Director and Executive Director, Operations. Chair of ERA. Director of the Australian Council of the Royal Flying Doctor Service of Australia. Member of the Business Council of Australia and Executive Committee of the Minerals Council of Australia.
- Thomas Barlow - Director since June 1993. Director of ERA. Former Executive Director of CRA Ltd.
- Michael E Beckett - Director since June 1994. Chair of Horace Clarkson PLC. Director of Ashanti Goldfields Company Limited, BPB Industries PLC, Queens Moat Houses PLC, Northam Platinum Ltd, British Borneo Oil & Gas PLC. Former Managing Director of Consolidated Gold Fields PLC.
- Alex Carmichael - Director since March 1988. Director of ERA and Price Waterhouse (Australia) Partnership. Former Director of Peko-Wallsend Ltd.
- Richard J Carter - Director since January 1999. Past President of the Australasian Institute of Mining and Metallurgy (AusIMM). Chair of Zeal Consulting. Former Executive General Manager and Chief Executive Officer of BHP Minerals.
- Richard Knight - Executive Director, Bulk Commodities since November 1, 1998. Formerly Chief Executive of ERA and Executive Director, Development. Chair of Iron Ore Company of Canada Inc. and Robe River Mining Co Pty Ltd.
- Timothy J Knott - Executive Director, Finance since January 29, 1998. Director ERA, Iron Ore Company of Canada Inc., Robe River Mining Co Pty Ltd and Zinkgruvan Mining AB. Former Group General Manager, Finance and Administration of BHP Petroleum, and Corporate Treasurer of BHP.
- Donald P Mercer - Director since May 1999. Chair of Australia Pacific Airports Ltd and Australian Information Economy Advisory Council. Director of Orica Ltd, Australian Prudential Regulation Authority and CSIRO. Chancellor of RMIT University. President of the Victorian College of the Arts. Former Group Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer of ANZ Ltd.
- Sydney M Richards - Director since November 1998. Chair of Australian Minerals Industry Research Association (AMIRA) and Australian Nuclear Science and Technology Organisation (ANSTO). Director of Bligh Oil & Minerals NL. Former Chair and Managing Director of Aberfoyle Ltd.
- Ian L Salmon - Director since June 1994. Director of Fletcher Challenge Limited (New Zealand). Past President of the Business Council of Australia. Former Group Managing Director of AMP Society.
- Nora L Scheinkestel - Director since April 1996. Director of City West Water Ltd, Docklands Authority, Medical Benefits Fund of Australia Ltd, and IOOF of Victoria Friendly Society Ltd. Associate Professor at the Melbourne School of Business.
References - North Ltd Annual Report (1998) & Annual Report (1999).
Plus Mudd (1998).
Share price graph produced by ComputerShare. With thanks.
Last updated April 24, 2000.
Back to the SEA-US Front Page
Copyright © SEA-US 1999-2001